End Game or 5 Reasons Why The Winner's Kiss Is the Perfect End to the Series

8:28 PM

Summary of The Winner's Kiss

War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. Though he has convinced himself that he no longer loves Kestrel, Arin hasn’t forgotten her, or how she became exactly the kind of person he has always despised. She cared more for the empire than she did for the lives of innocent people—and certainly more than she did for him.

At least, that’s what he thinks.

In the frozen north, Kestrel is a prisoner in a brutal work camp. As she searches desperately for a way to escape, she wishes Arin could know what she sacrificed for him. She wishes she could make the empire pay for what they’ve done to her.

But no one gets what they want just by wishing.

As the war intensifies, both Kestrel and Arin discover that the world is changing. The East is pitted against the West, and they are caught in between. With so much to lose, can anybody really win?

Review

Okay, I'll admit it. When I sat down to write my review of The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski, I found myself unsure of what to write. This isn't because I'm unsure about the book, I loved the book. It's everything I want in the last book to a series. No, the reason why I'm unsure of what to write is because I pride myself on writing relatively spoiler free reviews. Every time I started to write this review, however, I swung back and forth between huge spoilers and vague descriptions like some uncontrollable pendulum. To solve this conundrum I've decided to break from my typical reviewing style, at least for this one book.

5 Reasons Why The Winner's Kiss Is the Perfect Wrap Up to the Series:


1. All of the conflicts that have been building up in previous books come to a head. Book 2 in this series had a lot of "waiting and not confronting" going on, and this book is when everything finally goes down.




2. Characters who have not been communicating to each other/lying to each other finally are open and honest. Seriously, they've been dancing around each other for so long! 




3. Roshar and his tiger. Roshar is one of my favorite characters in the series, and he does not disappoint in this book. He likes to pretend like he doesn't care, but he totally does.


4. Marie Rutkoski's writing is achingly beautiful at times. Her descriptions of longing are so poignant.  It's like looking at a sad David Tennant standing in the rain. He's adorable but also breaks your heart.



5. The games and strategies are so fun to read about! I seriously am considering adding some into my current WIP (work in progress) because I loved how Rutkoski wove games and strategizing into the plot of each three books. Being the last book of the series, The Winner's Kiss has the game to end all games.




I gave The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. 





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook