Red Riding Hood and The Big Bad Wolf

4:34 AM


Summary of Scarlet

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 

Summary from goodreads

Review 

Sequels can be tough to pull off. It's inevitable that readers will compare the second book in a series to the first book, the second book to the third book and so on and so forth. In the case of Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, I definitely found myself comparing it with the first book Cinder and found Scarlet to be wanting. Though I still enjoyed reading Scarlet, I didn't connect with the characters Scarlet and Wolf as much as I did Cinder and Kai.

The relationship between Scarlet and Wolf wasn't my cup of tea. It happened way too quickly, and there was a little too much of Wolf being manipulative and controlling for my taste. I also rolled my eyes while reading about his fight with his brother over Scarlet in which Wolf growls, "She's mine." After reading Cinder, in which the relationship between Cinder and Kai progresses slowly and builds over time (in other words, a realistic relationship), I felt let down by the romance between Scarlet and Wolf in Scarlet. I realize that it is a retelling of a fairy tale and that fairy tales often depict people falling in love with each other after knowing one another for one day, but this book is a retelling. Meyer could've slowed down Scarlet and Wolf's relationship, but for whatever reason she chose not to do so.


While I wasn't impressed by Scarlet and Wolf, I did enjoy continuing to read about Cinder, Kai, and Thorne. It was nice to continue with Cinder and Kai's stories because the end of the first book left both of them in a lurch. I was pleasantly surprised to be introduced to the character Thorne, a shameless flirt who keeps insisting people call him Captain much like a certain Captain Jack Sparrow. I am excited to read more about Thorne, Cinder, and Kai in the next book.


As with Cinder, the plot of Scarlet was predictable yet still enjoyable to read. I gave Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 3 out of 5 stars on goodreads.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook