The Monster Goddess Book Club June Review: Thief of Lies

7:02 AM

The Monster Goddess Book Club is run by Tash at The Bookie Monsters and The Book Goddess.

June Theme: Read a book from a book haul

I bought Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake way back in January. I am so glad I finally had time to read it. 

Summary of Thief of Lies

Gia Kearns would rather fight with boys than kiss them. That is, until Arik, a leather clad hottie in the Boston Athenaeum, suddenly disappears. While examining the book of world libraries he abandoned, Gia unwittingly speaks the key that sucks her and her friends into a photograph and transports them into a Paris library, where Arik and his Sentinels—magical knights charged with protecting humans from the creatures traveling across the gateway books—rescue them from a demonic hound.

Jumping into some of the world's most beautiful libraries would be a dream come true for Gia, if she weren’t busy resisting her heart or dodging an exiled wizard seeking revenge on both the Mystik and human worlds. Add a French flirt obsessed with Arik and a fling with a young wizard, and Gia must choose between her heart and her head, between Arik's world and her own, before both are destroyed.
 

Review

Twitter is fast becoming one of my go to places online for book recommendations. I first discovered Brenda Drake on Twitter through her Twitter pitch contests in which writers pitch their books to literary agents and publishers. When I saw Brenda Drake had a book called Thief of Lies coming out, I decided to buy it. Through Twitter, I've learned that Drake does such a wonderful job supporting other writers and helping them start their careers, and now that I've read her work, I can also say she's a talented writer. Thief of Lies is fast paced and the world building is magical.

The idea of being able to travel to libraries all over the world through a book immediately drew me into Thief of Lies. I'm a person who loves libraries (I may have three different library cards in my wallet right now) and magic. I enjoyed following the main character, Gia, through all the different libraries and adventures she faced. Gia is a caring person, and Drake does a good job of having Gia make mistakes. She's not perfect. The job she and the other Sentinels have of protecting the libraries of the world is pretty cool, as are their battleglobes.

 There are a few things I'm not totally sold on when it comes to Thief of Lies. My reaction to the love triangle was sort of...meh. I also disliked the way Drake chose to write Carrig's Irish accent. He keeps saying, "me daughter", "me wife", etc. Drake was able to write Arik's Irish accent without it being annoying, so I wish she had done the same with Carrig's. However, the love triangle and Carrig's accent didn't stop me from enjoying the book. Drake wraps the book up nicely and sets it up for further books. I rated it 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook